Flection is the ultimate waveshaper for iPad. Select one of the more than 30 base transfer functions and adjust it with exceptional accuracy and flexibility. Use the pre-equalizer for additional frequency-specific shaping. No less than six different real-time audio visualisations (including spectrum difference view and I/O audio histogram) give you a complete picture of the audio before and after processing. Mix between your four favourite shaping presets in performance mode. Full Audiobus and Inter-App Audio compatibility allows for the interconnection with other iPad apps.
Flection is an advanced precision tool for shaping your sound. It offers high quality stereo audio processing at very low latency, flexible control and multifaceted visual feedback. Waveshaping is typically known to work great for guitar distortion, but you can use Flection just as well to spice up your drums, mangle your vocals or enhance your synths.
This fully featured monophonic synthesizer can create a huge variety of sounds. Fat basses, stabby leads, glitchy noises, old style chip tune sounds (including arpeggios), weird percussion, you name it. Enkl does the job!
Enkl comes with 93 high quality factory presets, all crafted by professional music producers. Of course it is possible to create new ones and save.
The Extended Keyboard makes Enkl really fun to play in standalone mode, choose scale, key and hit it off!
With Inter App Audio, AudioBus and MIDI support it’s easy to connect the app to other DAW apps, MIDI generator apps or external devices.
When it comes to MIDI, Enkl supports both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. It’s even possible to play other MIDI compatible instruments with the Extended Keyboard.
• Realtime rendered audio – no samples involved
• Two separate oscillators with separate LFO’s
• Oscillators can generate Triangle, Sawtooth, Square or Noise waveforms
• Oscillators can be summed or multiplied together
• Each LFO has its own ADSR and modulates its oscillator’s pitch or volume
• High cut and low cut filter with resonance (also controllable via MIDI)
• Chiptune-style arpeggiator
• Legato mode
• Ping-pong delay as a post effect
• Three band EQ as a post effect
• MIDI support (including IAA MIDI and Virtual MIDI)
• Extended Keyboard for live performing (also sends MIDI to any output port)
• Local on / off
• Pitch bend, Modulation, Low Cut, High Cut and Resonance controllable via MIDI
Launched within just a few weeks of each other, these specularly bland looking apps are set to change your music making world for the better if you’ve battled with the chore of getting your iOS music apps to talk to your desktop computer.
In short, these aptly titled apps allow you to send either MIDI or audio between your iPad or iPhone and a computer using the standard USB lightening cable or 30-pin cable you’d use for syncing, etc. So you can pack away your MIDI and audio interfaces, things just got a whole lot easier.
The hardest thing you’ll need to do is download the small server software on your computer which needs to run in the background for these apps to talk to your computer. Currently this is available for Mac and PC operating systems.
midimux offers transmission of MIDI data between iPad music apps and your computer. So for example, you might like to use your favourite MIDI sequencing software on your computer to command any number of synth apps residing on your iPad. No problem at all. And visa versa, you can use something like Genome MIDI Sequencer on your iPad to control the software sound modules and MIDI hardware connected to your computer. No problem either.
The magic happens by creating mirrors of the connected MIDI devices and custom virtual ports. I don’t pretend to even start knowing how that is even possible, but it works, and the end result is a smoother experience for anyone who likes working in MIDI across both platforms.
Unsurprisingly, audiomux offers much the same tasty treats only, it’s designed to transmit audio between your iPad and computer with much the same ease.
Built on the foundation of audiobus, audiomux lets you can fire up as many as 16 iOS music making apps simultaneously, and send their independent audio signals to a waiting DAW on your computer. And no surprise, you can do the same thing in verse, and send the audio sources from your computer to an audio recording app on your iPad.
Note, Audiomux only currently supports Mac. Hopefully Windows gets some love in the future.
My experience so far has been good, with no latency issues, and music apps not playing nicely with either midimux or audiomux.
Whether you need one or both of these apps, they are cheaper to buy as a bundle for $9.99
MultitrackStudio for iPad is an audio/MIDI multitrack recording app. It comes with many high quality audio effects including a guitar amp simulator.
What you can expect in the latest update Version 2.0:
• Extension Pack (in-app purchase) is now called Pro Extension.
• Pro Extension: Songs can have either an extra Effect Return or up to 8 Groups.
• Pro Extension: Time stretching in track editors.
• Pro Extension: Tempo editor can process audio tracks.
• Pro Extension: Create new song using current as template.
• Pro Extension features Phase Inverter effect.
• Can now record multiple Audiobus sources simultaneously.
• Uses Audiobus 2.1.5 SDK.
• Improved transport cycling: Overview bar remembers cycle region after transport stopped, longtapping Play button starts cycling, transport menu features ‘Set Cycle Start’ and ‘Set Cycle End’ options.
• Editors: add and draw modes can be sticky (see ‘Sticky add/draw modes’ setting in Preferences pane).
• Editors: tweaked graphics to make it easier to see which mode an editor is in.
• MultitrackStudio Instruments: step through presets by swiping vertically over the instrument box. Also works for SoundFont Player presets and the Pro Extension’s Convolutor effect impulse responses.
• Tempo editor shows mixed version of tracks in background.
• Matrix Sampler now displays the note to which the current cell responds.
• Fixed: SoundFont Player ignored pitch bend range setting.
• Fixed: Matrix Sampler’s Volume knob settings weren’t stored and recalled correctly.
• Several other fixes.
Ok, so this isn’t actually a music making app, but I still think it’s a unique idea to promote an event.
At the B-Sides Music Festival in Lucerne, Switzerland tons of audio equipment is connected with cables. If only one of these cables is not plugged in correctly, the loudspeakers remain silent.
In AUX B you are tasked with connecting the right cables. Bring the music through the different components to the loudspeaker to make it to the next level. If you complete all 80 levels until 15 May 2015, you have the chance of winning 1 of 3 festival tickets for the B-Sides Music Festival.
Algorithm is a beautiful synthesizer for iPad designed to recreate the sounds of classic video games like Zelda, Metroid and Metal Gear Solid. Algorithm harnesses the power of band-limited waveforms to deliver classic sound harkening back to the golden age of sound design. Equally fit for the studio or the stage, the 5 oscillator shapes, ADSR envelope filter, and arpeggiator provides the essential tools to craft custom electronic sounds.
Johnny is a highly versatile stereo multiwave tremolo effect designed for Audiobus and Inter-App Audio, perfect for adding everything from classic guitar amp style tremolo to pulsating, rhythmic multiwave modulation effects for guitar, synths, voice and more. Harmonic Tremolo modes create vintage phaser and univibe like tones, you can also modulate the rate of the main LFOs with a second LFO for interesting speed sweep effects.
In addition to Audiobus and Inter-App Audio, Johnny can process external hardware by connecting a professional USB audio interface such as the Apogee Jam or Apogee ONE, and many more compatible USB interfaces. You can also use the built in headset microphone. Guitarists can use the effects live by connecting the output of their audio interface to an amp.
Johnny supports USB MIDI interfaces via the Camera Connection kit, Bluetooth MIDI (iOS 8), Virtual MIDI and WiFi connections. The MIDI Learn function lets you easily assign your MIDI controller’s knobs and sliders to control Johnny’s effect parameters.
For more info and video demos visit: http://johnnyfxapp.com
Check out our entire FX series including Caramel, Crystalline, Echo Pad, Stereo Designer and Swoopster!
● requires iOS 7.1 or later
● iPad 2, iPad Mini 1st gen or newer
● Audiobus compatible (Effect, state saving)
● Inter-App audio compatible (effect node)
● Compatible with DAW apps such as Auria, Cubasis, Garageband and Multitrack DAW
● compatible with USB audio interfaces
● Core MIDI (USB, Virtual, Wifi)
● MIDI over Bluetooth (iOS 8, receiver)
● Control Left and Right channel Tremolo Rate, Depth, Shape, and Multiwave parameters to produce everything form subtle tremolo to wildly modulated stereo tremolo effects.
● Multiple modes including Classic Tremolo and Harmonic Tremolo.
● Modulate the rate of the main LFOs with a second LFO for interesting speed sweep effects.
● BPM synced tremolo including MIDI clock sync, independent per channel or linked.
● Audiobus compatible with state saving
● Inter-app Audio compatible
● Core MIDI compatible, works with any MIDI controller via MIDI Learn
Johnny works with just about any professional iOS compatible USB audio interfaces. Here is a list of interfaces that have been tested and verified to be compatible:
● Apogee Jam and Jam96k
● Apogee Mic and Mic96k
● Apogee ONE for iPad/Mac
● Apogee DUET for iPad/Mac
● Apogee QUARTET for iPad/Mac
● iRig HD
● iRig iMic
● Focusrite Scarlett series (*requires USB hub)
● Focusrite iTrack dock
● Alesis io2
● Alesis IO Dock
● Behringer UCA202
● many more
Groove Freedom provides a revolutionary new approach to assisting drummers develop independence on the drum set by practicing challenging patterns in a way that only today’s technology can provide.
Taking all of the content from Mike Johnston’s GROOVE FREEDOM book, this app features:
* Over 50 “Groove Freedom Systems” through 4 different chapters: Bass Drum Freedom, Snare Drum Freedom, World Groove Ostinatos, and 32nd Note Grooves.
* Each “Groove Freedom System” comes with 15 different exercises to practice – with more planned in future releases.
* Practice the displayed pattern while listening to the drum audio, click track, or both. Adjust the tempo to fit your needs.
* Adjust the volume and stereo pan of each limb part separately or mute a part to simplify a challenging pattern.
* “Repeat Measure” and “Auto Tempo Increase” features to help you keep your practice focused.
* See your progress by viewing your entire practice history: what groove and exercises you practiced when with informative statistics and graphs.
* Share your progress on popular social media networks.
OS AND DEVICE SUPPORT
Requires iOS7 or greater.
Supports iPad2 through iPad Air 2, iPad Mini through iPad Mini 3
Groove Freedom comes packed with three full lessons for you to experience everything that the app has to offer straight from the moment you download it. Subscribing to Premium Access gives you access to all existing groove systems with new groove systems being added every month.
The length of a Premium Access subscription is 1 month. Pricing is clearly shown within the app prior to purchase. Discounts are available for 6-month and 1-year subscriptions as well.
* Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
* Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
* Your iTunes Account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period at the subscription price selected, and will clearly identify the cost of the renewal.
* You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
* Please note that you will not be able to cancel the current subscription during the active subscription period.
The lite version is fully functional except for the following limitations:
– MIDI is disabled
– Inter-app Audio is disabled
– Audiobus is disabled
– Saving is disabled
– Only 40 factory presets are included
– Four operators configurable in eight different routings
– Three sound engines modelled on 1980s hardware units
– Eight waveforms derived from classic FM synths
– 2x, 3x, and 4x polyphonic unison
– Tempo-syncable arpeggiator with up, down, up-down, and random patterns
– Microtuning with eight different temperaments
– Up to 24 voices of polyphony
Modelled on the popular DX series from the 1980s FM4 provides the same gritty sound, with a modern interface, and without being bound by the limitations of the original units.
Every aspect of the hardware — from envelope curves to sine-table sizes and quantisation errors to digital-to-analogue converters — has been meticulously analysed, in order to recreate the raw and dirty sound of the original units.
The interface has been carefully thought-out and is simple and intuitive, yet powerful — with every parameter being available on a single page. No menus, tabs, or jumping from page to page.
FM4 is capable of producing a multitude of sounds, ranging from punchy basses, crystal-clear bells, and lush pads, to organic textures, striking drums, and piercing leads.
All product names used are trademarks of their respective owners, and reference to these here in no way constitutes an association or affiliation with Primal Audio. All trademarks are solely used to identify the products whose sound was studied during the development of FM4.