I’ve been lucky enough to have been on the beta testing team for this excellent iPad app over the past moth or so, and really enjoyed watching it take final shape. I’ll aim to do a review in the next few days, but for now here’s the official word from it’s maker, Positive Grid -
Positive Grid, leading innovator in music technology and maker of #1 selling mobile apps BIAS and JamUp, proudly announce the release of Final Touch – Complete Mastering System for iPad, a professional mastering suite that combines nuanced techniques of mastering with Positive Grid’s expertise on mobile design, offering the highest mastering control, precision and flexibility possible on an iPad.
“Final Touch allows musicians, producers and engineers to master audio recording with the industry’s standards: maximizer, pre and post equalizer, multiband dynamics, stereo imaging, reverb and dithering controls are all just one finger tap away”, says Positive Grid Marketing Manager Jaime Ruchman. “And now they will be able to continue their mastering sessions literally anywhere, with the same sound quality as a top notch professional mastering studio, enhancing productivity to its maximum.”
Final Touch combines seven essential mastering tools into one integrated system, the Pre and Post linear phase EQ modules consist of eight independent bands, each providing a choice of five different types of parametric filters: Hi-Pass, Low-Shelf, Peak, Hi-Shelf and Low-Pass. The Dynamics module offer highly flexible stereo/mid-side multiband compressor/limiter. The Stereo Imaging module adjusts the width of your mix, corrects L/R channel imbalances and checks mono compatibility. The Reverb module offers flattering room, hall and plate algorithms to sweeten overly dry mixes, providing continuously variable controls for independently adjusting Pre-Delay, Decay Time, Early Reflections and Room Size. The Maximizer module limits peaks and raises the average level of your mix, thereby increasing loudness. Comprehensive dither and noise-shaping options are also provided in this module.
Once your master is perfectly dialed, a couple taps are all it takes to share it via email, Dropbox, iTunes and SoundCloud.
“A great mastering app” - Rafa Sardina, 12-time GRAMMY award winning producer and engineer, whose credits include Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Beyonce, and more.
“Solid, accurate and accessible.”- German Villacorta, mastering engineer and owner of Dynamic Wave Studios, whose credits include Ozzy Osbourne, The Rolling Stones, Rage Against The Machine, and more.
“Finally the professional mastering app for iPad I have been waiting for! With a clear and intuitive interface, streamlined workflow, powerful effects, and full cloud support this app makes professional mobile mastering a reality!” - Andrea Pejrolo, Assistant Chair of the Production Department at Berklee College of Music.
“I’m really digging the open top end of the EQ section and how the Maximizer is glueing this mix together. This is a flexible, very cool audio app for modern musicians on the go.” - Enrique Gonzalez Muller, GRAMMY award winning producer and engineer, whose credits include Nine Inch Nails, Dave Matthews Band, Tina Turner, and more.
• Complete professional mastering system powered by Positive Grid’s high-end signal-processing algorithms
• Linear Phase Pre and Post Equalizers, each offering eight bands and five filter types
• Multiband Dynamics with four independent bands of compression/limiting
• Stereo Imager adjusts the width and balance of your mix’s soundstage
• Reverb provides state-of-the-art Room, Hall and Plate algorithms
• Maximizer transparently limits peaks to make your mix louder
• Dithering and Noise-Shaping preserves your mix’s depth and nuance
• Stereo and mid-side processing
• High-resolution, multi-colored metering with accurate readouts
• Each module can be independently bypassed
• Bypass switches for individual EQ bands
• Left, right, mid and side channels can be independently soloed or bypassed
• Waveform overview of your mix, with draggable playback cursor
• 100 factory presets and unlimited user presets
• Global and module-based presets
• Drag and drop modules to rearrange their order in the signal path
• Pristine, high-resolution sound (double-precision, 64-bit calculation)
• Unmatched audio-data integrity: no rounding or truncation except when calculations are performed
• Share via Email, Dropbox, iTunes, SoundCloud and FTP
• Streamlined project management: browse multiple projects with one simple tap
• Workflow optimized for mobile and desktop data transfers
• Supports Inter App Audio and Audiobus routing system (works with many other audio apps)
• Supports iPad 2, iPad mini and newer iPad devices
• Designed for iOS 7
Final Touch retails for $19.99 and is immediately available for download at the iTunes App Store. Designed for iOS7, the app requires an iPad 2 or newer to operate.