n-Keyboards lets you play two instruments at once, going from acoustic sounds like piano or violin to modern ones like synthesizers and sound effects.
You can choose among the many sounds included (over 100) or you can connect two external Apps via Interapp or Midi, using n-Keyboards as a controller.
n-Keyboards can also be played as an Interapp instrument within other applications, or it can send audio to Audiobus compatible applications.
• Audiobus support
• Interapp (load external InterApp Instruments or to play the app inside an external host)
• “Linked” mode to play the same notes at the same time on the two keyboards
• “Hold monophonic”, “Hold polyphonic” and “Sustain” keyboard mode
• Keyboard Zoom and Scroll
• Pitch wheel
• MIDI input and output
• Built-in Metronome
• Presets savings
• Polyphony voices setting (into the device general settings)
The best MIDI controller is the one that you have with you. Double Decker transforms an ordinary Bluetooth keyboard into a sophisticated MIDI controller, giving you a much bigger playing surface, while still being portable. The app is designed to work with US/English keyboards; the key arrangement for other languages may not be compatible.
** There are a few important limitations to be aware of! We would recommend reading the in-depth review of the app on Music App Blog, which gives a good overview of the features and limitations.
On iOS, an app can only receive keystrokes from a QWERTY keyboard when it is in the foreground. For this reason, Double Decker must be in the foreground to work; this is a limitation of iOS, and there is no way that we can work around it. The app is designed to send MIDI notes to other apps (running in the background), or MIDI to apps running in the foreground on other devices.
The iOS operating system only makes key press information available to apps, and not key release. For this reason, Double Decker cannot make a QWERTY keyboard operate like a typical (piano) keyboard.
Press a key on the Bluetooth keyboard to trigger a note. When you touch another key, the first note is silenced as the next note is played.
Tapping the space bar will silence all sounding notes. While it would obviously be better if lifting up on a key silenced a note, iOS does not provide this functionality for app developers.
The app features a state-of-the-art Soundfont engine, advanced MIDI routing capability, support for Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth, and even Audiobus!
The keys are arranged with the two middle rows in a piano-style formation. Play a second instrument using the bottom row of keys, and two more instruments using the number keys and punctuation. Each key can be configured to trigger either a single note or a chord.
A second arrangement of the keyboard divides things into four grids, four-by-four each. This is great for finger drumming, and triggering samples and sequences.
Double Decker supports Soundfonts, opening up a world of different tones. The app also has full support for MIDI, giving almost unlimited sonic potential. Using the MIDI Learn feature in apps such as Loopy and Genome, you can start and stop recording, play synthesizers, and switch tracks, all with a Bluetooth keyboard.
If you have multiple iOS devices, you can link them together using the low latency connection provided by Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth. Run Double Decker in the foreground on one device to catch keystrokes, and then send MIDI to a second device, which can have a synthesizer or sequencer app in the foreground.
Key features of the app are the following:
* Innovative use of an external keyboard to trigger notes.
* Keyboard arranged into two groups, each with four different playing regions.
* Each region can be assigned a Soundfont patch, a set of MIDI destinations, or both.
* Soundfonts can be added using “open in” or iTunes file sharing.
* Each key in each region is configurable as either a note or a chord, with independent velocity control.
* Key configurations can be saved as presets, shared through email, or downloaded from the web.
* The app supports the Audiobus “input” slot.
* Built-in support as a Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth “A” endpoint.
Turn your iPhone®, iPad® or iPod touch into the ultimate groove and dance music machine using the iRing controllers and the iRing Music Maker app. iRing Music Maker is the FREE companion app for IK Multimedia’s revolutionary iRing controllers that lets you make killer grooves and non-stop dance music by simply moving your hands in front of your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to change the grooves, play synth lines, control sound effects and create great dance music in real time with no prior music knowledge! iRing Music Maker is fun for everyone!
iRing Music Maker can be fully operated using the device touchscreen, but the real fun is when you use it with the iRing controllers (sold separately at your favorite electronics and music retailers), a set of two “rings” you wear on your hands that feature dot patterns that iRing Music Maker recognizes. When you move your hands in front of the device, iRing Music Maker translates the motion into control commands that let you change groove patterns, add and control effects in real time and even play synthesizer parts inside of the groove.
When you launch iRing Music Maker, you select a “song” which is a group of music loops that sound great together. Hit play, and immediately start the groove. You get 8 different “parts” (loop slots) that you can activate, and each of the parts has 9 different loop phrases that you mix into the groove.
Loop parts include different bass, drum, synth, guitar, percussion and multi-instrument loops that you can add to the groove in real time. And there are dozens of different loop phrases within each song, so the possible combinations are limited only by your creativity.
Plus, iRing Music Maker has an amazing selection of professional DJ effects that you can add and manipulate in your mixes, easily controlling the amount of effect applied.
On top of your groove, you can play and improvise impressive instrument lines, without any music knowledge, by using the included synth and bass synthesizer. Simply select your preferred sound and pattern bank, and play using the 8 melodic or rhythmic designs available in each pattern bank for hours of fun and creative expression.
iRing Music Maker also features a record function that lets you record your performance so you can share it with your friends via email, FTP or Soundcloud upload or use it in other apps on your device via audio copy.
iRing Music Maker is extremely easy to use right from the beginning, and with a little practice, you’ll be creating non-stop, amazing sounding music in no time.
iRing Music Maker Features:
- Create non-stop music on the fly with no music knowledge required
- Uses iRing motion controllers to convert hand movements into control commands
- Comes with 4 song collections, 4 effects, 7 synth and bass sounds and 4 pattern banks for free
- Select from different music styles like EDM, Dubstep, House & Hip Hop
- 8 part groove player with effects, plus synth and bass lines
- Record function lets you record and share performances with your friends
- More song collections, effects, sounds and pattern banks available via in-app purchase
- Compatible with Inter-App audio and Audio Bus
To learn more about the iRing and compatible apps, please visit:
While we’re yet to get a full run down on the complete feature set, there has been talk (on Akai’s Facebook page) that this beast will handle 64 tracks, and it will be much more of a professional level music workstation than the original!
Akai is teasing the app through a series of videos focusing specific features. Here is the latest one –
Here’s a link to details on the original iMPC app – http://www.promusicapps.com/impc/
telePort Control is a bi-directional controller created for the free prototype of telePort.
-It lets you create and manage sequences directly on the iPad.
-Switch between patches on all MIDI capable instruments as well as VST/AU instruments, and store new patches as well.
-Change the routing of all connected MIDI Controllers and Audio units.
-Switch channels effect chains and set Volume and Sends directly
-Loop everything you do with the MIDI loopers as you would with anything in telePort…
The iPhone version is thought of as a companion app.
It mirrors most of the basic controls but focused mostly on letting you control the three audio looper channels found in telePort.
AC-7 Core Solo is the perfect hand-held wireless remote controller for your DAW based music recording system. It was expressly designed to be used comfortably with one hand, so there’s no need to put down your guitar/mic/drink while setting up the next take.
It has been tested and optimised for use with Apple’s Logic Pro X, but most of its functions will work equally well with any DAW which supports the MCU protocol. These include Reaper, Cubase, Digital Performer, Adobe Audition and many more.
(Avid’s ProTools is NOT supported in this release. We’re working on a separate dedicated ProTools controller app, which should be available soon)
How to set up on a Mac:
Make sure the computer is connected to the same wifi network, then navigate to Finder -> Go -> Utilities -> and open “Audio MIDI Setup”
Double click the Network icon in the MIDI window, then add a new session in “My Sessions” and enable it by clicking the checkbox.
Make sure “Anyone” is selected in the “Who can connect to me” section, then open the AC-7 Core Solo app on your device.
Your iOS device’s name will now appear in the Directory area, so click the name then click the “Connect” button.
Now simply open Logic Pro X, and the AC-7 Core Solo will be automatically detected and configured.
Image-Line Remote (IL Remote) is a free Tablet or Phone, user-configurable virtual MIDI controller application for FL Studio and plugins. Just open FL Studio on your computer and IL Remote on your iDevice and the connection is made automatically over a Wi-Fi network.
Control FL Studio instantly or link your favorite instrument and effect plugins just as you can with any MIDI controller. Use a phone, tablet or any combination with up to 15 devices simultaneously.
Use the included controller tabs covering functions including; Transport Controls, MIDI Keyboard, FPC control, Harmonizer Keyboard, Performance Mode (Clip Launcher), Gross Beat FX, Mixer and more. If the control you want isn’t available then you can create your own.
IL Remote allows you to add custom tabs and add controls including Pads, Faders, Knobs, Jog Wheels, Mixer, Clip Launcher, X/Y Controls, Piano Keyboard, Harmonic Grid and Containers. There is a complete range of customization options for each control so that you can create virtually any virtual MIDI controller to suit your needs.
IK Multimedia, a global technology company and leader in mobile music-creation apps and accessories for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, today announced a new technological breakthrough in mobile music making and app control:iRing™, the first motion-tracking controller for iOS music apps and more. Now musicians and others can control sound effects and other parameters of their favorite apps, in real time, using hand position, freeing them from needing to touch the screen.
iRing utilizes a wearable ring with identifiable markers, the mobile device’s front-facing camera, and advanced computer vision with highly-optimized recognition algorithms built into an app, to determine the precise positioning of the ring markers, tracking their movements and position on the 3-dimensional space in front of the device. This system provides a low-cost solution and a motion-tracking device that is accurate and affordable to anyone.
The iRing controller is a lightweight, double-sided ring that the user wears between two fingers, comfortable enough to be worn while operating musical instruments or other traditional music controllers. Each ring features a linear dot pattern on one side and a triangular pattern on the other. The device camera picks up the positioning of the ring patterns and the apps convert that information into music commands for dedicated app or MIDI information, which any compatible music app can read. This means that a user can now operate up to six controllable music parameters in their preferred music apps with one or two hands gestures.
While there have been previous attempts to use a device camera to track hand positioning, they proved not to be reliable for real-world usage, due to the many variables involved in computer vision recognition and the available processing power of mobile devices. iRing solves these issues providing an accurate method for precision detection of hand position in a wide range of lighting conditions.
iRing includes two identical double-sided ring controllers, plus two free apps for music applications, which target everyone from music lovers to knowledgeable musicians: iRing Music Maker and iRing FX/Controller.
The iRing Music Maker app gives music lovers a new and incredibly fun way to create music and grooves using hand gestures, with no music knowledge required, whatsoever. Users simply launch the app and use the iRing controller to change the beats, control rhythmic elements, synth parts and effects, for hours and hours of quality entertainment. Creating music has never been so much fun!
The included iRing FX/Controller app targets skilled musicians and DJs, and converts the distance information from the rings into precise MIDI control information that can be configured by the user. This MIDI data can then be used by any compatible Core MIDI app running on the device, or even sent to a computer via Wi-Fi. Users can configure the app to control effects, filters, notes, patches and more.
The iRing FX/Controller app also doubles as a controllable audio effects processor with 16 powerful and creative effects including Delay, Stutter, Phazer, Flanger, Compression, Fuzzy, Reverb, AutoWah, Crush, Twist Up & Down, Brake, Spin and Tail. These effects can be creatively controlled by the iRing, and inserted into the device audio path for use with any music app that is Audiobus or Inter-App Audio compatible.
iRing technology will also be incorporated into core IK Multimedia apps such as GrooveMaker®, DJ Rig™, AmpliTube®, SampleTank®, VocaLive™ and more, so DJs, guitarists, vocalists, bass players, producers, keyboardists and engineers will have a new level of control to deliver powerful and unique performances.
For third-party developers that want to incorporate and implement iRing technology directly into their apps, IK is offering a free development kit and licensing program, which make it easy to take advantage of this new breakthrough technology. iRing can also be easily utilized beyond music for a wide variety of applications including gaming, health & fitness, utility and more. Developers can take advantage of the technology and improve the functionality of their apps by contacting IK via the link provided on the iRing product page.
- Ring controller, in tandem with either of two included apps featuring advanced motion-tracking technology, allows remote control of iOS app and app parameters using hand gestures
- Great for musicians and non-musicians alike
- Includes two identical, two-pattern reversible rings, allowing for numerous control combinations and the control up to 6 effect parameters simultaneously with two hands
- Rings are unique looking, light, comfortable and provide a universal fit
- Included iRing Music Maker app allows novices to make music using hand gestures
- Included iRing FX/Controller app lets musicians and DJs create custom MIDI control setups, plus add and control audio effects when used together with other music apps via Inter-App Audio or Audiobus
Pricing & Availability
iRing will cost $24.99/€19.99 (exc. taxes), and will be available in Q1 2014 in three colors (white, green and silver) at music and electronics retailers worldwide. Pre-orders are now available on the IK Multimedia online store and selected stores. iRing FX/Controller and iRing Music Maker apps will be available as free downloads from the App StoreSM.
For more information about iRing™ for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, please visit:
The iPad becomes a super-expressive, easy-to-play wireless MIDI wind controller, using either keyboard or simple woodwind technique. (It also works as a breath controller.) Just blow into any iPhone headset mic or the optional pro mouthpiece and experience the soul-to-MIDI connection you’ve been missing.
Blowfinger Keyboard mode
• Velocity-sensitive keyboard allows you to glide between notes in a way not possible on a regular keyboard, making this an excellent musical performance addition to any set-up.
• Use the eight utility pads with user text labels to send program changes or keyswitches. Or use them to play drums and percussion – they’re velocity-sensitive.
• The XY pad offers additional expressive control in both axes, and it can be set to snap back to zero, to the center, or stay where you release it. Choose which MIDI controller is sent in each direction.
• Transpose octaves up or down with one tap (either or both keyboard manuals).
Blowfinger Wind mode
• Simplified fingerings based on recorder or Boehm system allow anyone who’s ever played a wind instrument to pick up Blowfinger right away. You switch octaves with your left thumb, so once you know one octave you know them all.
• One size fits all. The keys and the thumb pads can be resized, moved, and stretched all over the screen. Play the instrument on your lap or perhaps a desk in front of you, or move the pads to the sides and hold the iPad up to your belly.
• XY right thumb pad. This has the same features as the one in Keyboard Mode, with your choice of snap back behavior and MIDI controllers.
• Blowfinger can work as a breath controller without sending notes; in Breath-only mode, blow without fingering and it sends a MIDI controller.
• Simultaneous support for Network MIDI over Wi-Fi, hardware MIDI, and inter-application MIDI to control synths running on the same iPad. Also supports rtpMIDI for wireless MIDI on Windows.
• While it feels great right away, you can personalize the breath response to suit your preference and also to adjust for noisy environments.
• Global transposition so you can play in the key of Cb without getting angry.
Tetra Sound Editor provides the ultimate editing and sound development experience by displaying all Tetra Program parameters in a single, intuitive, graphical interface. The interface resembles the look and feel of the real synthesizer while streamlining your workflow and allowing you to view the complete details of any Program at a glance and to edit any parameter using your iPad. It allows you to see how the factory Programs are put together or to freely experiment to see what you can create.
Some of Tetra Sound Editor’s features include:
•Real time editing of all Tetra parameters
•Program Bank manager
•Load/Save of Program Banks
•Transmitting and receiving of Program Bank data
•Resizable on-screen keyboard
•Direct USB/MIDI connection with Apple iPad Camera Adapter
•Wireless connection possible using MIDI network
•Magnified editing panels
This Tetra Sound Editor is an app for iPad only.
Dave Smith Instruments and Tetra/Tetr4 are trademarks of Dave Smith Instruments.
Soundtower is a trademark of Soundtower Inc.