I saw this teased at a trade show earlier this year, but not much was know about the full features. Now the AR-4i is available, it looks like it would have a range of applications for musicians and field recorders. Here’s a basic run down on the specs, but the quirky promo video Fostex has produced is also worth checking out, for a giggle.
New from Fostex is the AR-4i – a device which turns the iPhone4 into a handheld video camera with professional stereo sound recording. A perfect easy seller to target iPhone users, and something which will appeal to a very broad range of customers. Everyhing’s included in the box, like 2 x plug in condenser microphones, a hand-grip for easy shooting, and even 2 x AAA batteries, which will power you for roughly 8 hours of use.
The AR-4i has 3 mic inputs, facilitating vertical or horizontal use, which feed the high quality A/D. Monitor your work using the high spec D/A through the inbuilt headphone out. An extensive amount of control is available using the dedicated iPhone APP. The AR-4i even features standard threaded mounting points and a cold shoe to integrate with your existing video equipment.
- Exceptional audio quality – record/playback via Dock connector with built-in AD/DA converter
- Equipped with 3 x stereo inputs (Line/Mic) for using 2 of the 3 simultaneously for vertical or horizontal use
- 2 x plug-in powered condenser cardioid type microphones with pop-shields supplied. Third-party microphones can also be used.
- 4-dot LED level meter for input monitoring
- Thumb wheel input gain control
- Setup App supplied free from App Store for setting Pan (L/C/R), Low Cut Filter, Limiter, etc.
- Headphone output for recording & playback monitoring
- Long operation time with 2 x AAA alkaline batteries for 8 to 10 hours
- Supplied with a sturdy hand grip
- 2 x threaded tripod mounts on the bottom and side for use with tripod, camera rigs, etc.
- Cold shoe for use of third-party camera options
Grab the latest details here -http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/AR-4i.shtml