GrainBender will be on sale at 50% off for a limited time!
GrainBender is a new iPad synthesizer that makes designing new sounds easier than ever before. Just tap the bend button and sculpt your new sound directly in realtime. GrainBender is capable of making a wide range of sounds, from traditional analog favorites to exotic digital effects.
- unique, intuitive sound design interface
- versatile oscillators with analog & digital waveforms
- audio clip recording and export to other apps via AudioCopy
- extensive but easy-to-use modulation
- effects ranging from chorus and delay to digital grunge
Grab further details here - http://www.burgerkone.com/grainbender/
In what has been a long time coming, Audiofile Engineering, has finally updated it’s superior 2-track audio recording iPhone app, FiRe Field Recorder.
While there is certainly a lot more competition around since the first version launched just over 2 years ago, there are some tidy updates in this new version.
The All New FiRe 2 – Field Recorder
Our industry leading professional field recorder for iOS just got completely redesigned and rebuilt from the ground up. Although widely recognized by audio professionals as “best in class” we decided to skip the tweaks and create a next generation product incorporating many of the features our users have requested since FiRe’s initial release.
FiRe 2 will again revolutionize what you expect from a portable recording application. FiRe was the first iPhone recorder to display an accurate audio waveform in real time, the first to support markers, Broadcast WAVE metadata, and the instant downloading of files in multiple file formats. FiRe was the first application on any platform to offer native SoundCloud integration. Now FiRe 2 incorporates into its original elegant design a stunning list of powerful new features including:
- Advanced editing suite with SmartEdits, Bezier fades, change gain, normalize, looping playback, regions and more
- Improved Transport screen with faster and smoother drawing and larger waveform view
- EQ and Dynamics effects by Audiofile Engineering
- iTunes file transfer
- Enhanced input processing powered by iZotope™
- Record in background
- DropBox integration
FiRe 2 was created for audio professionals by audio professionals. It’s powerful enough for the most experienced musicians and recording engineers, and its efficient workflow and intuitive interface makes it a breeze for business and casual use.
FiRe is built exclusively for iPhone and iPod touch and is brought to you by the minds at Audiofile Engineering. Combining powerful, elegant and uncluttered audio utilities with unparalleled technical support, Audiofile Engineering is one of the most innovative and experienced audio software developers for OS X and the iOS.
Other features include:
- Record in mono and stereo, 16-bit, 48 kHz
- Live waveform view including rectified view
- Live overview for easy navigation
- Scroll waveform with touch
- Navigate waveform via double-tap with configurable behavior
- Moveable Playback Head
- Tap Playback Head handle to add markers
- Editable Markers and Regions
- Preference to add markers at time intervals
- Overdub mode with playthrough
- Beautiful and accurate VU Input Meters
- VU meters change to output in playback
- Configurable time units display
- Tag Recordings, Markers and Regions with location data
- Pause gracefully when interrupted by phone call
- Countdown with gorgeous graphics
- Record for/until/over threshold… settings
- Preference to automatically move to end and/or add marker when recording starts
- Preference to limit recordings to 2GB
- Screen rotates 180 degrees for better control of the iPhone’s internal mic
- Broadcast WAVE metadata
- Searchable recordings list
- Sorting options for the Recordings List
- Ability to lock recordings
- File export via iTunes File Sharing, FTP and browser access
- SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com) and DropBox (http://dropbox.com) integration
- Choice of export file formats: WAVE, AIFF, CAF, AAC, Apple Lossless, AAC, Podcast, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC
iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4
3rd & 4th generation iPod touch
More info at - http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/fire/
While dedicated eBook readers still haven’t yet reached the lofty heights in popularity as the multipurpose iPad and its extended family of apps, the iPad is a highly capable eBook reader in itself, with thousands of best sellers, education, and entertainment titles available to download.
Helping serve the needs of electronic musicians, Anthem Publishing, who handle MusicTech magazine, have been busy producing iOS friendly versions of their special Music Tech Focus issues.
With more than a dozen releases already, each issue is a perfectly digitised version of the 132 page magazine. The aim of each issue to is focus on one particular software package such as Reason and Ableton Live, or an area of music recording, such as Mixing and Mastering.
Like the magazine, the iOS app features workshops, tutorials, software and hardware reviews, and expert tricks and tips, ALL specific to the music software or recording technique.
Of course, one of the immediate benefits of these apps, is being able to carry around any number of issue of Music Tech Focus either on your iPad /iPhone/iPod Touch, and fire them up in a flash.
We’ve been using an iPad to check out the Ableton Live 8, Logic Pro 9, and Mixing editions over the last few weeks, and it’s a real convenience having them right there, rather than having to dig around for the magazines.
The apps work in portrait or landscape view. The difference being, in landscape view you see two pages at a time, and with the iPad upright, you see one page in a larger scale.
Like a real magazine, flipping the pages, via the iPad, offers an animation of the page turning, which could probably be a little faster for my liking, but it’s a cool effect anyway.
Double tapping the display zooms into the area of the page you tap, and can then be dragged around, or double tapped to return to full page view. Pinching the page in and out also does the same thing.
Where these digital versions come into their own, is being able to quickly and easily bring up thumb nails of the pages, as well as a main index offering main features, and then to go to a specific page instantly. And naturally it’s possible to ‘add’ and view saved bookmarks of pages you want to visit regularly. This is really the killer feature of any eBook.
I haven’t tried any issues on a smaller screen, but I dare say it’s not nearly the pleasant experience of the iPad screen, which the issues look super crisp and sharp, even when zooming into the pages.
At US$9.99 per issue, these apps are certainly cheaper than the real magazine (and so they should be), although I know some of us find great value in the BONUS DVD of Software/Audio goodies that also come stuck to the front of the magazine. Maybe in the future, they can even look at a way of offering a discount on the app for those that buy the magazine, mainly for the DVD.
While the type of content on offer here isn’t nearly as interactive or fully featured as say The Daily, or even Wired magazine iPad apps, they still serve a purpose for those that warm to the idea of carrying around digital versions of magazines they are likely to use on a regular basis.
Check out the growing collection of Music Tech Focus apps in the App Store.
A free sound editor for recording, editing, adding effects, and sending audio, Pocket WavePad allows you to record voice or music, then edit the recording and add effects to achieve high quality audio recordings. Work within audio waveforms to make selections for quick editing, such as inserting recordings from other files, or apply effects like the high pass filter to clarify audio quality. For journalists and other professionals making recordings on the go, Pocket WavePad makes it easy to store or send recordings so they are readily available wherever they are needed.
• Formatted for iPad
• Supports a number of file formats including wave and aiff
• Editing capabilities include cut, copy, paste, insert, trim and more
• Effects include amplify, normalize, echo and more
• Work with multiple files
• Supports autotrim and voice activated recording
• Select sample rates from 8000-44100hz, 8-32 bits
For further details, drop by here - http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html
While the music making side of iPad apps has been more than well catered for already, the whole DAW offerings have been few and far between. The creators of Aurora Sound Studio HD, StompBox, and PocketRTA HD have taken the wraps of their fully featured multitrack recording app Meteor for iPad. I’ll let them give you the lowdown -
Meteor is a digital multi-track recorder designed specifically for the iPad. The program features up to 12 tracks of high quality audio, a built in mixer and multi-effects processor. Meteor is ideally suited for creating musical compositions, and also a great tool for journalists and business people who need to splice and piece together voice notes, narration or dictation. Compositions once mixed can be exported to standard file formats for use on your desktop PC or MAC.
Meteor includes a fully featured sound editor allowing recordings to be trimmed or spliced together. You can apply various effects to your recordings either directly, as part of the recording process or in real time during playback. Editor features include cut, copy, paste, fade in/out. clear, reverse, gain, normalize, remove DC offset, time stretch and pitch shift. Effects include digital delay, chorus / flanger, reverb, graphic equalizer, tone boost, compressor (with side chaining) and distortion.
The Mixer and effect levels can be fully automated using definable controller tracks. An integrated metronome with count-in helps you record your masterpiece, and If 12 tracks isn’t enough there is a full stereo mixdown facility.
• Record up to12 tracks of CD quality audio
• Multi-Effects Processor
• Integrated 12 channel Mixer
• Integrated Sample Editor
• 3 Global Send Effect Busses
• Insert Effects with freeze facility to reduce CPU load.
• Record Effects & Record Monitor
• Mixer and Effect Automation
• Mixdown / Bounce Facility
• Import samples and iPod songs.
• Export to compressed CAF and WAV formats
• Automatic Delay Compensation
• In-App Purchases through the Online Shop found in the Help Menu.
For further details, drop by the website - http://www.4pocketsaudio.com/product.php?p=8
IK Multimedia is at it again, creating yet another handy iOS app aimed at musicians and audio recording enthusiasts in general. This is perhaps their most straightforward app to date, yet could have the widest appeal, thanks to the range of different applications you could use it for. Sure, iOS devices have a built in voice recording app, but the features are limited. So if you find yourself needing cut, copy, and editing features, along with audio processing and uploading options, this is well worth considering.
iRig Recorder is a powerful and flexible audio recording app for your iOS device that is convenient and easy to use. You can have a professional recording tool there at your fingertips anytime, anywhere along with intuitive and practical editing functions and various export options to fit your audio needs wherever your mobile life takes you.
iRig Recorder is the perfect companion to iRig Mic. Take iRig Mic and iRig Recorder anywhere to capture podcasts, interviews, concerts … any sound out in the field or right there at home. Then use iRig Recorder’s intuitive editing tools to cut, crop or loop your audio and its powerful effects processors to optimize tone for speech or music, clean up background noise, brighten your voice for clarity and presence, smooth your voice in harsh or overly bright recordings or change the speed of your tracks without affecting their pitch.
Effect processors are so easy to use that anyone – even without specific music or audio knowledge – can quickly produce quality audio material in seconds with iRig Recorder.
iRig Recorder organizes your recordings by date and time and also tags them with a geo location for easy and reliable file management of your recordings. Export your files via E-mail, Wi-Fi, FTP, SoundCloud or iTunes File Sharing in a variety of sizes and formats (including 16-bit 44.1 kHz uncompressed). Record your world with iRig Recorder!
For a full rundown on the features included in the full version and the FREE version, head over to IK Multimedia - http://ikmultimedia.com/irigrecorder/features/
Checking the FB page of the makers of iShred & Guitar this week, I noticed they are close to releasing a brand new music app called BeatStudio which looks pretty comprehensive. Here’s the details they’ve announced so far -
BeatStudio is a fun, easy, and yet powerful app. Whether you’re playing live with your iPhone band or sitting down to make a multi-layered percussion backing track for your guitar songs, we’ve got you covered.
30 Professionally sampled percussive instruments
Ranging from standard drum kit drums and cymbals, to shakers, sleigh bells and even a vibraslap! The selection of sounds will fill all your percussion needs. Each instrument has been sampled at a variety of volume and hit intensities, which you can adjust to get just the sound you need.
Customizable Instrument Layout
The playing and recording screen holds from six to twenty instruments of your choice. This flexibility allows for a clean interface for songs ranging from simple to complex, and anything in between. There’s even a menu lock for performing live or when you want to hand it over to your budding three year old percussionist.
Record your performance, with each recording appearing as a separate track in the track arrangement screen. Multi-track recording, and the ability to loop track clips makes it easy to add repeating elements throughout your song. To make your song beat-perfect, you can adjust the metronome and quantize settings - including BPM, beats per bar, the number of sub-beats and quantize strength.
Not only can you rearrange your recorded tracks, but you can edit anything you have recorded, moving individual instrument events around within a recording, adding new instruments and events, or deleting an accidental sound. This powerful editing tool also uses the quantize settings to make it easy to put your beats in the right place. There’s a great undo system that will help you recover from accidents or even edits that just didn’t work out.
It’s easy to play along with your favorite song, or one of your other musical creations as a backing track. Import from your iPod library, WiFi, iTunes, or AudioCopy/AudioPaste to play along with recordings from other Frontier Design Group apps (and other compatible iOS apps). If there is a tricky section that you want to figure out the best beat pattern for, the backing track player features a variable speed slider, so you can slow down (or even speed up) your backing track. After you’ve mastered it, slide the speed back to 1x and all of your recordings follow suit.
This is a great ‘free’ series that’s been available online for sometime, but now you can carry around in your pocket. The tips and advice range from common sense practises through to some of the golden rules of recording and microphone techniques, that even pros will get something from.
RØDE University, the critically acclaimed educational video course from RØDE Microphones, is now available on iPhone! Including both the musical instrument and broadcast recording segments, RØDE University features over 30 entertaining and educational videos that help you get the professional audio results you’ve been searching for. Filmed in the world renowned Studio 301 and featuring Sydney band “Hell City Glamours”, the musical instrument segment covers recording vocals, guitars, bass and drums with a range of different microphones and techniques. Veteran sound designer and best-selling author Ric Viers hosts the broadcast recording component, and covers a wide range of topics including location recording, foley, voiceover/ADR and sound effect recording. Also included is a graphical reference library of all RØDE Microphones including detailed specifications.
Here’s a link to the Rode website - http://www.rodeuniversity.com/iphone/
Beat Twirl is a “beat slicer” app. The app lets you analyze existing sounds and detect their rhythm with its note onset algorithms. With Beat Twirl you can work with drum loops and rhythm patterns, easily enhancing them with additional percussion sound, or create new patterns.
With Beat Twirl you can:
• Change the tempo (time) of drum loops without changing the pitch.
• Analyze percussion patterns and find the underlying timing.
• Mix-in additional percussion sounds, or replace the original sounds
• Export single beats from a sound file.
How to use Beat Twirl?
• You can record yourself singing or clapping a rhythm, than add percussion instruments to the rhythm you created.
• You can extract a rhythmic/percussive section from a song and convert it to a loop you can play along with at different tempos.
• Mix-in percussion instruments to a song to enhance its’ rhythm.
• Extract beat samples from a song for use with a beat sequencer.
• Import audio from your ipod library, using iTunes file sharing or using audio copy/paste from supporting applications.
• Record using an external mic or the built in mic.
• Universal app. UI designed iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Supports retina displays.
• Two spectrum based note onset detection algorithms.
• Manual slicing capabilities on top of the automated algorithm.
• Mix in percussion beats from a library of 300 samples.
• Export audio as wav, caf or aac. Export using audio copy, iTunes files sharing or email.
For more details, click here - http://www.tivstudio.com
There are a ton of exciting new features included in this (free) major update for MultiTrack DAW.
What’s New in Version 3.0
* Per track EQ (2 bands parametric, 2 bands shelving, 18db boost and cut) (3GS or later).
* Per track Compressor (3GS or later).
* Ability to monitor the input signal with effects (3GS or later).
* Fade in and out per region (editable fade points).
* Open/copy email attachments (mp3, m4a, AAC, wav, aif, ogg).
* Restore in-app purchases onto other devices.
* Delete Unused Bins from within app.
* Increased control of sliders and handles.
* Retina display for iPhone 4 and iPod 4th gen.
* Shared directory now monitors changes from iTunes File Sharing.
* Improved input selection allows spitting stereo input onto 2 mono tracks.
* iPod media browser now uses Apple supplied browser.
* Hotbox ‘Trim’ and ‘Move’ buttons unified to single ‘Edit’ button.
* new Hotbox ‘Slice’ tool splits a region at hotbox location or playhead location.
* Fader controls now accurately use decibel scale and allow a real +12db of gain boost.
* Metronome has volume control
* Track download on wifi webpage has option to include effects in track rendering.
* Bugfix: email account no longer required to create mixdowns.
* Bugfix: AAC is now in m4a container.
* Bugfix: After recording, track could be heard without disarming track.
* Bugfix: Missing metronome tick at zero
* Bugfix: Audio glitches sometimes when editing or deleting regions.
For a full rundown on the app, head here - http://www.harmonicdog.com/