We don’t tend to cover much in the way of DJ apps, as we’re more about ‘making the music’, but since everything IK Multimedia touches seeems to turn to gold, this new app and hardware combo is worth mentioning as it’s set to be another winner for them.
DJ Rig is the app side of things, while they’ve also developed iRig MIX, an innovative DJ style hardware controller that of course is iOS compatible. The hardware is not out yet, but the app launched this week, and it’s perfectly functional and highly addictive to use just on it’s own!.. This is the iPhone/iPod Touch version (which also works fine on iPad), though an iPad version that takes better advantage of the display (and hopefully the new Retina one!) is expected in the coming month or two. Here’s the official deets –
March 8, 2012 – IK Multimedia is pleased to announce the release of their first professional DJ Mixing app: DJ Rig – a full-featured, double-deck DJ mixing app for iPhone and iPod touch. DJ Rig provides instant song-playing from the device’s music library, automatic tempo sync and beat match, sample-based pads and performance recording, plus an arsenal of high-quality DJ effects. Together with the just announced iRig MIX, the mobile DJ mixer for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, DJ Rig represents the most portable solution to DJ anytime and everywhere.
DJ Rig isn’t just another DJ mixing app. Instead, it’s an extremely intuitive, flexible and easy-to-use groove master program with powerful features and intelligent effects that will please even the most professional DJ. Its dual-deck format is as traditional as it gets, but beyond that, there is a world of creative tools – from sync tools to creative effects – that will take DJ-ing on an iOS device to a completely new level that can be used by anyone, everywhere.
Sync Tempo AND Match Beats – Like No Other DJ App
While you can find BPM sync on other DJ apps, none are able to offer beat matching like DJ Rig. This feature allows the automatic synchronization of beats between two songs so the beats are matched and aligned. DJ Rig analyses your songs and then builds a tempo and beat map so anybody can easily mix at the tap of a button and never miss a beat.
Effect Deck… Unlimited Sonic Possibilities
DJ Rig also features a robust real-time effects processing section that allows DJs to apply various effects to their source material. And with the XY touch interface, they’ll have full creative control of the effect parameters. DJs can choose from spatial effects like reverb, delay and flanger, various pass-through filter effects, distortion, resonance effects and a new stutter effect. Plus, all effects are automatically synced to the tempo.
DJ Rig also features an “on-the-fly” sampler that can capture and play sounds from built-in sound banks or for quick sampling of source audio for instant playback and looping. Sounds can be accessed from 9 virtual pads that access a high-quality, expandable sample library.
Scratching with CloneDeck™
DJ Rig features the new turntable modelling technology called CloneDeck™ which provides an ultra-realistic turntable “scratching” feel and sound. CloneDeck™ provides the exact behaviour you expect from a real DJ turntable… only in a convenient digital format.
X-Sync – Sync ANY External Audio Source
DJ Rig features an exclusive X-Sync function that enables the synchronization of music from ANY source – not just music on the iOS device- when used with the iRig MIX portable iOS DJ mixer. With X-Sync, you can connect and cue ANY audio source, and DJ Rig will automatically match the tempo and make seamless transitions.
- Double Deck
- Landscape and portrait interfaces
- Direct access to iPod library and playlists with instant play
- Deck controls: Volume, Pitch, 3-Band Kill EQ, Headphones and Crossfader
- Tempo controls for fine BPM adjustments
- 3 crossfader curves for customizing fades
- Drag and zoom of waveform display
- Auto-level detection and adjustment for the perfect balance between decks
- Crossfade filter for fading between decks with bass or high filters for smooth and perfect transitions
- Customizable deck interface (available for in-app purchase)
- Multiple output configurations for virtually any audio setup
- Supports all major digital audio formats including MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF
- Live recorder enables you to record full mixing gigs
Mix & Scratch
- Tempo Sync
- Beat Match – for the first time, a DJ iOS app that can align songs’ beats
- Fast BPM detection, beat analysis and beat map saving
- 4 visual cue points per song (1 built-in plus 3 available as in app purchase)
- Automatic looping to create loops with beat-accurate tempo divisions
- Accurate scratching engine modelled on real deck behaviour with CloneDeck™ technology for scratching with cut-to-the-beat
- X-Sync mode detects the BPM from an external audio sources in real-time and automatically syncs the tempo (when used with iRig MIX)
- Effects deck with 12 effects: Delay, Flanger, Crush, Filter High Pass, Filter Low Pass, Filter Band Pass, Compressor, Wah, Phaser, Fuzz, Reverb, Stutter (6 built-in plus 6 available for in-app purchase)
- XY touch interface
- All effects are BPM-synched
- Multiple controls
- Extra filter available
- On-the-fly sampler machine
- 9 pads matrix with assignable pads on 4 instantaneous sound banks
- 15 sound banks available (8 built-in plus 7 available for in-app purchase)
- Live sampling functionality
- Pitch control
Pricing and availability
DJ Rig includes 6 high-quality DJ effects (Low pass, Band pass, High pass, Delay, Stutter, Phaser), and 8 built-in sound banks plus one adjustable cue point. These can be expanded with 6 more effects (Flanger, Comp, Fuzz, Reverb, Auto Wah, Crash), 7 extra sound banks, 3 more cue points plus digital deck interface, all available together through in-app purchase in the Pro bundle pack.
The app is already available on the iTunes App Store at the special introductory price of only €1.59/$1.99 for a limited time.
The Pro Bundle add-on expansion is available for only €3.99/$4.99 as an in-app purchase.
For more information: